Holy Trinity

Church Of England VA School

01706 378061

Partner School

Our Core Values - Trust, Courage, Forgiveness, Truthfulness, Generosity, Respect, Responsibility.

Enter text...

Special Educational Needs.


A guide for parents



Children have a special educational need if they have a learning difficulty which calls for special educational provision to be made. Children have a learning difficulty if they:

a) have a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of children the same age.


b) have a disability which prevents or hinders them from making use of educational facilities of a kind generally provided for children in schools.


c) are under compulsory school age and fall within the definition of a or b.


A child MUST NOT be regarded as having a learning difficulty solely because the language of their home is different from the language in which they will be taught.


Speak to your child’s class teacher. The teacher may then refer you to the SENCO who will explain the procedures in place in school to address your child’s needs.


Mrs J Luke / Miss V Lock – (SENCO)

TEL: 01706 378061

Special Educational Needs Register


The school has a special needs register, which records children at SEN Support and children with a Statement of special needs or an Education, Health and Care plan. In addition, the school has a focus group of children, who receive additional support to enable them to ‘catch up’.


SEN Support

A child may be placed at SEN Support, if evidence collected by the class teacher, suggests that the pupil is not making progress and additional provision is needed. If a pupil is placed at SEN Support they will have a Personal Progress Plan. This will detail targets and what provision is to be made. If necessary outside specialists may become involved e.g. Educational Psychologist, Speech and Language Therapist or Occupational Therapists.


Statement of Special Educational Needs / New Statutory Education, Health and Care Plan.

The statement for special educational needs is in the process of being replaced by Education, Health and Care plans (EHC). An EHC Plan can only be requested, if the child demonstrates a significant cause for concern and has complex needs.



All stages, the SENCO will discuss the individual needs of the child with parents.


What the school may do to support and help your child.

There are many Intervention Programmes that the school can put in place to help your child. The interventions fall into

 3 Waves.


WAVE ONE – Quality First Teaching.

Pupils are offered an inclusive and differentiated experience in everyday lessons, with the majority of pupils making good progress without additional support.


WAVE TWO – ‘Catch up’ or Booster programmes.

Pupils are offered additional help to accelerate learning. This may be small group, targeted intervention, timetabled to ensure children benefit from the experience.


WAVE THREE - Intensive Targeted Support.

Individual support, linked to specific personal targets. Pupils receiving this level of support will often require additional input/advice from outside agencies. Care Plans can be implemented for intervention for specific/medical needs.



If you do not feel that the school is meeting the needs of your child you may contact Rochdale Parent Partnership who will assist and support you by liaising with the school and explain the legislation for dealing with pupils with Special Need.