Our class Topic
This half term's topic is the Egyptians! Within this topic we will be learning all about who the Egyptians were, how they lived, where they lived, Tutankhamen and lots of other exciting things.
We will be using an atlas to discover where in the world Egypt is and we will be looking at the geographical features.
In RE this half term, we are learning all about Jesus, Son of God.
Alongside our RE topic, we will be learning about our Christian Value for the half term Wisdom through our daily assemblies as well as reflection time in class too.
Times tables test / multiplication check: the basics
The Department for Education says that the check is part of a new focus on mastering numeracy, giving children the skills and knowledge they need for secondary school and beyond.
How will children be tested?
Children will be tested using an on-screen check, where they will have to answer multiplication questions against the clock. The test will last no longer than 5 minutes and is similar to other tests already used by primary schools. Their answers will be marked instantly.
How can you help your child practise their times tables?
Because the National Curriculum for maths is so extensive, there is an expectation that parents will help their children learn their times tables at home and not rely on schools to bring them up to speed.
Some of the techniques you can use include:
- Practising times tables by rote.
- Asking your child multiplication questions out of order – such as "What’s 11x12? What’s 5x6?"
- Asking your child the related division facts: ‘What’s 8➗4? What’s 9➗6?’
- Using arrays to help your child memorise times tables – you can use fun objects like Smarties or Lego bricks to make it more entertaining.
- Giving your child word problems to test their skills, like ‘If Peter has 800ml of orange juice and needs to share it between four friends, how much can they each have?’
- Using apps and games like TheSchoolRun’s multiplication games to build speed.
- Singing times tables off YouTube or using songs like Percy Parker.